Return to the Border Management Unit home page

Entry to the State for non-EU, non-EEA and non-Swiss nationals

If you are a non-EU, non-EEA or non-Swiss national you must present to an Immigration Officer on arrival by air or sea from a place outside the State.

If you arrive via the border with Northern Ireland, you must report to an Immigration Officer at Burgh Quay, Registration Office, Dublin or your local Immigration Office at a Garda Síochána (police) station as soon as possible.

What you will need

You will be asked some basic questions by the Immigration Officer in relation to your stay.

You must be able to present to the Immigration Officer any documents necessary to explain the purpose of your visit. It is your responsibility to ensure you have everything with you.

At a minimum, this includes your passport, visa (if necessary) and boarding card. Other useful documents may include a travel itinerary, proof of sufficient funds, proof of health insurance that covers the duration of your intended stay, details of your accommodation, invitations or letters that help to explain the purpose of your visit.

Even if you have a valid visa for Ireland, you may be refused entry by the Immigration Officer if he/she is not satisfied by your documents or explanations.

If you are allowed to enter

If you are given permission to enter the state, the Immigration Officer will place a stamp in your passport which sets out the duration and conditions of your stay in the State.

The stamp placed in your passport by an Immigration Officer gives you permission to stay in Ireland up to the date indicated on the stamp.

The duration of stay permitted is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer, up to a maximum of 3 months.

If you arrive with a short stay ‘C’ visa, you must leave the country before your landing stamp expires.

If you arrive with a long stay ‘D’ visa and wish to stay longer than 3 months, you will need to comply with the requirements of Registration under section 9 of the Immigration Act 2004 (link here to registration requirements] before your stamp expires to extend your immigration permission and register your details. Details of our Registration Offices can be found here.

If you are not allowed to enter

If you are refused permission to enter the state, you will be returned to your point of embarkation.